goat cheese & Gucci

Lovers of fashion, food and all the glorious addictions of life

Friday, November 18, 2011

Sweet Tater Pie!

With Thanksgiving just around the corner I have been in quite the festive mood. I tried out a new recipe for a dish to take to a small dinner gathering last week and instantaneously fell in love! I am a huge fan of anything pumpkin/butternut squash/cinnamon/fall related so when I was asked to make a sweet potato pie (for the first time) I was enthusiastic about the challenge. Nothing with sweet potato as an ingredient can go wrong so, of course, the pie turned out fabulously! I think it has replaced my appetite for pumpkin pie. I made the recipe again this week to give to a couple people as "have a nice Thanksgiving break" gift.

Prep

Headed into the oven

Finished product! (They are in aluminum pie dishes because I was giving them as gifts. Yes, I own real pie dishes.)

My variation on the recipe I found online:

Ingredients:
4 ounces butter, softened
2 Cups cooked and mashed sweet potatoes/yams*
3/4 Cup granulated sugar
3/4 Cup brown sugar
1 small can (5 ounces, about 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons) evaporated milk
3 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
2 prepared pie shells**

*I used yams and I didn't measure the amount. I just used two LARGE yams.
**I used Pillsbury pie crusts and baked them for about 5 minutes by themselves before adding the filling.

Preparation:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix butter, potatoes/yams, sugar and evaporated milk until well blended. Add vanilla, eggs (already beaten separately) and pumpkin pie spice; mix well. Pour into the prepared pie shells. Bake at 350 degrees for about 1 hour until set. Makes 2 pies.*

*The first time I made this recipe I used a deep pie dish and made only one pie. The filling was definitely thick, but amazing! The second time I tried out the recipe I did make two smaller pies with the same recipe and they turned out great as well. I think it's just a personal preference on filling to crust ratio :)

No comments:

Post a Comment